Hex Punch Broaches
Slater's Hexagon Punch Broaches are manufactured as two-point forms and facilitate punch broaching on CNC lathes, mills and presses. By using partial form broach tools and indexing the tool or workpiece, cutting pressures are greatly reduced. This method of broaching is most beneficial for applications requiring no witness (pre-drill) marks, excessive material removal, or timing of the form to a feature on the part.
DIAMETER: .315" Shank Diameter
OVERALL LENGTH: 1.25”
|Nominal Sizes (in)||B||Part #|
|.050" Hex Punch||0.051||SP3-6-051|
|1/16" Hex Punch||0.064||SP3-6-064|
|5/64" Hex Punch||0.079||SP3-6-079|
|3/32" Hex Punch||0.095||SP3-6-095|
|7/64" Hex Punch||0.111||SP3-6-111|
|1/8" Hex Punch||0.127||SP3-6-127|
|9/64" Hex Punch||0.142||SP3-6-142|
|5/32" Hex Punch||0.159||SP3-6-159|
|11/64" Hex Punch||0.174||SP3-6-174|
|3/16" Hex Punch||0.190||SP3-6-190|
|7/32" Hex Punch||0.222||SP3-6-222|
|1/4" Hex Punch||0.253||SP3-6-253|
|9/32" Hex Punch||0.284||SP3-6-284|
|5/16" Hex Punch||0.316||SP3-6-316|
|11/32" Hex Punch||0.347||SP3-6-347|
|3/8" Hex Punch||0.379||SP3-6-379|
|13/32" Hex Punch||0.410||SP3-6-410|
|Nominal Sizes (mm)||B||Part #|
|1.25mm Hex Punch||0.051||SP3-6-051|
|1.50mm Hex Punch||0.061||SP3-6-061|
|2mm Hex Punch||0.081||SP3-6-081|
|2.50mm Hex Punch||0.101||SP3-6-101|
|3mm Hex Punch||0.121||SP3-6-121|
|4mm Hex Punch||0.161||SP3-6-161|
|5mm Hex Punch||0.200||SP3-6-200|
|6mm Hex Punch||0.240||SP3-6-240|
|7mm Hex Punch||0.279||SP3-6-279|
|8mm Hex Punch||0.320||SP3-6-320|
|9mm Hex Punch||0.358||SP3-6-358|
|10mm Hex Punch||0.399||SP3-6-399|
|11mm Hex Punch||0.437||SP3-6-437|
|12mm Hex Punch||0.478||SP3-6-478|
Titanium Nitride (TiN)
TiN is a gold colored PVD coating made of exceptionally hard ceramic material that improves lubricity, increases hardness and enhances abrasive wear resistance leading to increased broach tool life.
Titanium Carbonitride (TiCN)
TiCN is a purple-gray colored PVD coating formed by the addition of carbon to the TiN formula. The elevated hardness and low residual stress lead to excellent abrasive wear resistance. TiCN coating also increases lubricity of the broach and performs well under high load conditions. TiCN is commonly used in medical and aerospace applications broaching small forms in stainless steel and titanium materials.
Titanium Aluminum Nitride (TiAIN)
TiAlN is a dark gray colored PVD coating that can be used in high temperature conditions and for better lubricity. Harder than TiN, TiAlN has excellent abrasive wear resistance and is used successfully to broach many materials such as titanium, aluminum, stainless steels, and alloy steels.
M2 High Speed Steel
M2 is a molybdenum based high speed steel that is characterized by abrasion resistance, toughness and good red hardness. Slater Tools' hardened M2 broaches have an ideal balance of bending strength, toughness and wear resistance. M2 is used in a wide range of rotary broaching applications and is suitable for any broachable material.
PM M4 High Speed Steel
PM M4 is a molybdenum-tungsten high speed steel, which is produced with a very consistent and refined structure. This structure gives PM M4 broaches several enhanced properties including improved toughness and better wear resistance. This material is good for stainless steel and titanium applications for decreased wear.
T15 High Speed Steel
PMT15 is a high-carbon tungsten-cobalt-vanadium high speed steel, composed of very fine grain structures. T15 has excellent red hardness and abrasion resistance. Like the PM M4, the structure of PM T15 broaches improves toughness and is a good choice for improving overall broach tool life.
OTHER CUSTOM OPTIONS
- Custom overall tool lengths
- Custom cut lengths
- Special across-the-flat dimensions
- Corner radius
- Spun ground diameter on broach corners
- Single or double vent holes
- Alterations to flat on broach tool shank
Index Punch Broaching Part Preparation
Pre-Drill Hole Diameter:
- A pre-drill hole is required for index punch broaching.
- The pre-drill hole must be at least equal to the minor diameter of the finished form. It is strongly recommended to open the hole diameter larger than the minor diameter.
Pre-Drill Hole Depth:
- The depth of the pre-drill hole must be greater than the broaching depth to allow for chips to accumulate and avoid excess packing.
- If chips must be removed after broaching, it can be done with a drill or boring tool. A recess at the bottom of the pre-drill will allow the chips to break cleanly. The recess diameter should be larger than the major diameter of the broach.
- It is recommended to have a pre-drill depth of 1.75 x depth of broached area.
- A 45° lead chamfer must be provided for successful index punch broaching, going from the major diameter to the minor diameter of the form.
Machine Setup Parameters
- Position broach tool a sufficient distance away from face of workpiece to allow for acceleration to full cutting speed
- Use machine’s peck mode and feed to the desired depth. Alternatively, program the machine to rapid in and then retract the tool in .005 increments
- Spindle lock or ability to program lock is required