Keyway Punch Broaches
Produce keyways in blind or through holes with Slater Tools keyway slotting tools. Slater's Keyway Punch Broaches allow full form keyways to be produced on your CNC machine. Also known as single point keyway tools, the form is created in the work piece by slotting a portion of material and incrementaly indexing the machine forward until the desired key height is acheived.
Keyway punch broaches are designed to meet ANSI B17.1, DIN-6885, and ISO R773 Standards. They are also available in non-standard custom geometries. Engineered to optimize tool life, Slater's keyway punch broaches allow for multiple re-sharpenings.
DIAMETER: .500" Shank Diameter
OVERALL LENGTH: 1.75”
|Nominal Sizes (in)||B||Height (Flat to Dia.)||Part #|
|Nominal Sizes (mm)||B||Height (Flat to Dia.)||Part #|
Titanium Nitride (TiN)
TiN is a gold colored PVD coating made of exceptionally hard ceramic material that improves lubricity, increases hardness and enhances abrasive wear resistance leading to increased broach tool life.
Titanium Carbonitride (TiCN)
TiCN is a purple-gray colored PVD coating formed by the addition of carbon to the TiN formula. The elevated hardness and low residual stress lead to excellent abrasive wear resistance. TiCN coating also increases lubricity of the broach and performs well under high load conditions. TiCN is commonly used in medical and aerospace applications broaching small forms in stainless steel and titanium materials.
Titanium Aluminum Nitride (TiAIN)
TiAlN is a dark gray colored PVD coating that can be used in high temperature conditions and for better lubricity. Harder than TiN, TiAlN has excellent abrasive wear resistance and is used successfully to broach many materials such as titanium, aluminum, stainless steels, and alloy steels.
M2 High Speed Steel
M2 is a molybdenum based high speed steel that is characterized by abrasion resistance, toughness and good red hardness. Slater Tools' hardened M2 broaches have an ideal balance of bending strength, toughness and wear resistance. M2 is used in a wide range of rotary broaching applications and is suitable for any broachable material.
PM M4 High Speed Steel
PM M4 is a molybdenum-tungsten high speed steel, which is produced with a very consistent and refined structure. This structure gives PM M4 broaches several enhanced properties including improved toughness and better wear resistance. This material is good for stainless steel and titanium applications for decreased wear.
T15 High Speed Steel
PMT15 is a high-carbon tungsten-cobalt-vanadium high speed steel, composed of very fine grain structures. T15 has excellent red hardness and abrasion resistance. Like the PM M4, the structure of PM T15 broaches improves toughness and is a good choice for improving overall broach tool life.
OTHER CUSTOM OPTIONS
- Custom overall tool lengths
- Custom cut lengths
- Special across-the-flat dimensions
- Corner radius
- Spun ground diameter on broach corners
- Single or double vent holes
- Alterations to flat on broach tool shank
Keyway Punch Broaching Part Preparation
Pre-Drill Hole Diameter:
- A pre-drill hole is required for keyway punch broaching
- The pre-drill hole must be equal to the finished keyway bore diameter
Pre-Drill Hole Depth:
- The depth of the pre-drill hole must be deeper than the broaching depth to allow for chips to accumulate
- A recess at the bottom of the pre-drill is mandatory and should be larger than the major diameter of the final keyway height
- A 45° lead chamfer must be provided going from the major diameter to the minor diameter of the form
Machine Setup Parameters
- Position the tool at least 1” away from face of workpiece to allow for acceleration to full cutting speed (otherwise could contribute to deflection or tapering)
- .0008-.0015" doc per pass/ 200-550 IPM (inches per minute)
- After feeding to desired depth, program machine to drop down away from tooth
- Chip must break off completely after each pass; program tool to enter into releif groove (blind hole) or pass end of part (through hole)
- Spindle lock or ability to program lock is required