External Hexagon Broaches
External hexagon rotary broaches are offered in standard sizes and can also be made per your print. Various materials, coatings and resharpening are also offered on any of Slater Tools' external rotary broaches.
MOUNTING DIAMETER: 2.3125"
OVERALL LENGTH: 1.25”
|Nominal Size (in)||B||Part #|
|11/16" External Hex Broach||.674||1463-674|
|23/32" External Hex Broach||.705||1463-705|
|3/4" External Hex Broach||.736||1463-736|
|25/32" External Hex Broach||.767||1463-767|
|13/16" External Hex Broach||.798||1463-798|
|27/32" External Hex Broach||.829||1463-829|
|7/8" External Hex Broach||.860||1463-860|
|29/32" External Hex Broach||.891||1463-891|
|15/16" External Hex Broach||.922||1463-922|
|31/32" External Hex Broach||.952||1463-952|
|1" External Hex Broach||.982||1463-982|
|Nominal Size (mm)||B||Part #|
|18mm External Hex Broach||.698||1463-698|
|19mm External Hex Broach||.737||1463-737|
|20mm External Hex Broach||.775||1463-775|
|21mm External Hex Broach||.814||1463-814|
|22mm External Hex Broach||.853||1463-853|
|23mm External Hex Broach||.893||1463-893|
|24mm External Hex Broach||.932||1463-932|
|25mm External Hex Broach||.970||1463-970|
|26mm External Hex Broach||1.009||1463-1.009|
Titanium Nitride (TiN)
TiN is a gold colored PVD coating made of exceptionally hard ceramic material that improves lubricity, increases hardness and enhances abrasive wear resistance leading to increased broach tool life.
Titanium Carbonitride (TiCN)
TiCN is a purple-gray colored PVD coating formed by the addition of carbon to the TiN formula. The elevated hardness and low residual stress lead to excellent abrasive wear resistance. TiCN coating also increases lubricity of the broach and performs well under high load conditions. TiCN is commonly used in medical and aerospace applications broaching small forms in stainless steel and titanium materials.
Titanium Aluminum Nitride (TiAIN)
TiAlN is a dark gray colored PVD coating that can be used in high temperature conditions and for better lubricity. Harder than TiN, TiAlN has excellent abrasive wear resistance and is used successfully to broach many materials such as titanium, aluminum, stainless steels, and alloy steels.
M2 High Speed Steel
M2 is a molybdenum based high speed steel that is characterized by abrasion resistance, toughness and good red hardness. Slater Tools' hardened M2 broaches have an ideal balance of bending strength, toughness and wear resistance. M2 is used in a wide range of rotary broaching applications and is suitable for any broachable material.
PM M4 High Speed Steel
PM M4 is a molybdenum-tungsten high speed steel, which is produced with a very consistent and refined structure. This structure gives PM M4 broaches several enhanced properties including improved toughness and better wear resistance. This material is good for stainless steel and titanium applications for decreased wear.
OTHER CUSTOM OPTIONS
- Custom Overall Lengths Available
- Custom dimensions
- MICRO forms
- Corner radius
- Mounting slot can be aligned with form (for holding orientation)
External Broaching Part Preparation
- Pre-turning the diameter of the workpiece is required for external broaching.
- The pre-turned diameter must be smaller than the major diameter of the broach.
- It is recommended to turn the workpiece diameter to the smallest allowable diameter so the broach will clear on the major diameter. Allowing for more clearance will reduce the required broaching pressure and increase tool life.
- See below formulas for recommended pre-turn diameters of hex and double-hex forms.
External Form Depth:
- Maximum recommended broach depth is 1.5 x minor diameter of form.
- A back-chamfer or undercut will allow chips to break cleanly. The undercut should be approximately .0625" wide.
- A 45° lead chamfer must be provided for successful external rotary broaching, going from the minor diameter to the major diameter of the form.
Speeds and Feeds
Speeds and feed rates for rotary broaching will depend on the material you are broaching and size form. Please refer to the Slater Tools Speeds and Feeds Chart.
- Upload Purchase Order Here
- Call: (586) 465-5000
- Fax: (586) 465-3030